How to brick your Mac, 19.01.2008 00:32
- Install Mac OS X 10.4
- Install rEFIt
- Install Linux
- After some time decide to upgrade to Mac OS X 10.5 and at the same time make the partition bigger (e.g. by merging with a FAT32 partition which was originally intended to contain some Windows)
- Use the GNU Parted utility to delete the Mac OS X and FAT 32 partitions and create a new bigger partition for Mac OS X 10.5.
- Restart your Mac.
- Cheer that now you can no longer boot from the harddisk or a CD/DVD nor from anything else!
And now, how to un-brick it again:
- Call Apple support
- Find out that you are lucky and have some warranty left (6 days in my case!!!).
- Bring your Mac to an Authorized Service Provider.
- Get it back with a new harddisk :-)