(Mini) Bacon and Egg Cups, 11.12.2011 18:55
Last week I stumbled upon this delicious looking bacon and egg cups recipe and thought that I should try it sometimes, which I did this morning.
Since I don't have a real muffin tin I used a somewhat smaller cake tin, with the result that the handling was a bit more delicate and also my cups are more like 'mini' cups (which is not necessarily a bad thing because the bacon I bought was also smaller than expected and thus it matched perfectly).
This is the result of the first step in the recipe and all what is leftover once I was finished. Not very useful for putting jam on it anymore, but perfect to stir the next cheese fondue :-)
- 1 slice of bread per muffin cup (1 slice per 4 cups for the 'mini' version)
- 2 slices of bacon per muffing cup (use small slices for the 'mini' version)
- 1 egg per muffin cup (same for the 'mini' version)
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese per muffin cup (optional, I used some parmesan instead)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
(that's 190 degrees celsius)
- Use a cookie cutter to cut circles out of each piece of bread.
- Grease a muffin tin and press circles of bread in the muffin cups. Place in the oven and bake for 5 minutes or until bread is slightly toasted. Remove from oven.
(be careful when doing the 'mini' version, your bread will be toasted in well under 5 minutes)
- Cook bacon in a skillet until halfway cooked (approximately 3-4 minutes).
(here again: when using small bacon slices they will be ready in less than a minute, be careful to not make them too crispy otherwise they will be hard to fit into the cups)
- Place 2 slices of bacon on top of the pieces of bread to form a cup (the bacon should cover the bread and the sides of each cup).
- Crack an egg into each muffin cup (on top of the bacon). It helps to discard a little bit of the egg white after cracking and before pouring into the muffin cup.
(for the 'mini' version keep the surplus egg white in a bowl and use it to make some 'only-white' cups, one egg gives enough surplus egg white for another cup)
- Place in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes or until the eggs are set.
(for the 'mini' version use 8-10 minutes, I almost burned mine!)
- Sprinkle cheddar cheese over each egg and continue to bake until cheese is melted (this step is optional).
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
The advantage of my 'mini' version is that you will end up having plenty of little bacon and egg cups, yummy :-)